If you are a Mikrotik RouterOS user, you will know that Mikrotik regularly pushes out updates to their devices. These updates are designed to ensure that already installed Mikrotik devices work effectively. Apart from introducing new features to RouterOS, updates are used to improve on the security of RouterOS as well as provide corrective measures in form of bug fixes to already discovered anomalies. In this post, I will share with us on how to upgrade many Mikrotik devices at once using Mikrotik dude.
To be able to perform this task, you must know how to install the Mikrotik Dude either on a Windows computer or on a Mikrotik device and you must also know how to add network hosts to the dude. Before we proceed to upgrade many Mikrotik devices at once using Mikrotik Dude, let’s look at the benefits of performing a RouterOS upgrade using the Dude.
Benefits of performing RouterOS group updates using the Dude
- Speed: many devices can be upgraded in less than five minutes since they are local to the dude server.
- Saves bandwidth: you only need to download the current version of RouterOS once from Mikrotik.com
Upgrade many Mikrotik devices at once using Mikrotik Dude
To upgrade connected devices that have all be added on the Dude server, the devices must be reachable from the Dude, they must have had their username and passwords entered and finally, they must have been configured on the Dude as RouterOS devices. See image below.
With the conditions above met, we proceed to upgrading our Mikrotik devices. To upgrade a group of devices at once, following the steps below:
- Go to mikrotik.com and download the current version of routeros for your device
- Upload the downloaded file into the file section of the dude
- Double click on devices
- Click on routerOS
- Select devices to be upgraded
- Click on upgrade and chose the file (.npk for Mikrotik hardware or x86 for routeros installed on PCs) you uploaded
After the upgrade, devices may be observed offline line. Remove the power and plug back again to have them back online.